I love social media. The endless marketing possibilities it offers to us dead-broke authors. The way it connects like-minded people around the world. The way you can put the good go around…BUT there is this nasty part in it, which I do not like. The ugly troll called spamming.
However what I think is spamming, might be okay for someone else, and vice versa. So I made a list of my absolute no-no thingies…
* Send someone a friend request and after they’ve accepted it…
– Post ‘hi’ on their timeline with a bunch of links to your books and sites.
– Send them a personal message and tell how they’re the girl/boy of your dream…the one you cannot live without…
– Add people to a group(s) without bothering to ask whether or not they want be a part of that group.
– Send nude-ish pictures to their inboxes.
– Start bombing their friends with PMs and friend requests.
* Follow someone and the second they follow you back, send a direct message asking to…
– buy your book
– read and review your book
– send auto message, asking them to also follow you on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram…
– ask them to check out your Amazon links or any other link…
– Tag them to a weird tweet that has nothing to do with them and then share it around.
Or better yet…Follow someone and after they’ve followed you back, unfollow. It’s cool to trick people to follow you and then ditch them just that your number of followers looks amazing… SERIOUSLY NOT COOL!
– If you agree to do something, do it. There is no half-way. Favors are supposed to be returned if that’s the case. Simple as that.
And yes, after all this I still love social media 🙂 Be friends, RT, share, give a helping hand if needed, socialize…have fun, just remember to behave!
P.S. If you’ve been guilty of doing some of the things mentioned above, please, think twice before doing it again or better yet…stop doing it! Trust me, you’ll get more out of being nice, instead of pissing people off.